Our Eco-Friendly, Green Property is Winner of
TripAdvisors' Greenleaders Platinum Award
Berkshires Shirakaba is very proud to be a certified Energy Star built property. We are committed to reducing the property’s environmental impact on the Berkshires. Shirakaba was build in 1999-2000. The timber frame was designed and built by Jack Sobon the nationally recognized expert on traditional timber-framing with lumber harvested from his property in Windsor, right here in the Berkshires. The architect was our dear friend Yoshihiko Sato of Great Barrington. Our Energy Star builder was David DeGiorgis of Pittsfield. Our Site Excavator was David DiNicola of Middlefield .
As part of our commitment, we invested in the following technologies:
- Triple Pane Thermotech Windows
- Solar Panels
- Geothermal Water Furnace
- Radiant Floor heating, the most efficient floor heating system
- Icynene Insulation -They uses all the shavings , they bag them like tubes and ski resorts use them to buffer skiers from hitting trees in the woods!
- Radient Floor Heating a radiant floor system has more than just aesthetics going for it. It's also a highly efficient way to heat a house, increasing comfort as it reduces energy costs.
- Energy Star Fixtures and Appliances
- LED bulbs, Light sensors and timers
- Recycling everything